Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why Do People Care / Why is It Your Business???

I am so tired of the questions about my having kids. Do you have any? Why not? Don't you like kids? Don't you want kids?

No, I do not have children. No, I do not want children. Yes, I do like children. I am raising a dog.

OK...that seems a little harsh but at 41, almost 42, I am really tired of the questions. There are numerous reasons why I don't have kids...in no particular order:

1. My health
2. I got married later in life
3. Different priorities in life
4. Never had the desire

OK, so that last one is what always seems to cause a problem. I do believe on some level I never had the desire to have kids because I know that they could "inherit" my medical issues...after all they are birth defects and, while not hereditary, I run a much higher risk of having a child with the same problems or worse. Yes, medical treatment has come a long way in 40+ years, but still. My mother didn't know that this was even a possibility. I do. Wouldn't it be selfish of me to put a child through what I went through? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy let alone my own child.

I didn't get married until I was 35...the time that counted, anyway. Definitely not a great time to start a family when the health risks are great for you and the baby. OK, so my baby survives but I don't. Not really fair to my child to have to grow up without a mother just because I wanted to be a mom.

I have been career-driven my entire life...even when I played Barbies I was the career Barbie, not the one with a bunch of kids. I didn't even own the little sisters so I wouldn't have to babysit.

OK, rant over. I just get so tired of the questions. My main gripe with these questions...even for my parents and D's parents...what business is it of yours. It is mine and D's decision alone, no one else has a say in whether or not I have kids...I don't care if they would be "your" grandkids....(not that this rant is about the parents...but if it's not their business, how could it possibly be anyone else's!)

P.S.--the parents, either set, have said nothing that was purely an example.

No comments: